Ocular Coherence Tomography
At Eyecare Plus Optometrists Mermaid Beach we are committed to providing you with the highest standard of eye care available. With this in mind, we have recently installed an Optical Coherence Tomographer (OCT). The OCT is one of the most advanced diagnostic tools available. The images show exceptional detail and allow us to compare your eyes over time, showing changes that would be impossible to detect without this revolutionary new equipment.
With an OCT, we can scan to look beneath the surface of the retina. We can microscopically magnify them and ensure that they are healthy. A detailed retinal image is taken at the same time. By measuring and monitoring the key layers within the back of the eye we can pick up abnormal changes, which would not otherwise become apparent until much later in the development of a disease.
An OCT can detect a range of eye diseases including macular degeneration, glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy.
Who should have an OCT scan?
Everyone who wants the best available eye care but particularly:
- Patients over 40
- Patients with a family history of eye problems
- Diabetics and smokers
- Anyone with health problems or taking medication that may affect the eyes
- Anyone who has had any abnormality detected using any other method
- Anyone with particular concerns regarding their vision or eye health
- Anyone with unexplained vision loss